The second meeting we had focussed on collating the proposals together, which Tom and I have sorted in to spread sheets. That initial meeting highlighted just how many proposals were outstanding and thankfully most of them are now in! Also a major concern from the first look at the proposals was the size of individual pieces compared with the actual size we have available.
All subject representatives went back to their subjects to request a down sizing.
Today (27/04/09) our 3rd meeting, we went through a very thorough TO DO list provided by Lucy in Drawing, which I will copy into this post. I'll now bullet point our discussion:
* Discussed the name of the exhibition. Main name that was suggested was CONFLUENCE which means "a place where two rivers meet, a coming together, a crowd of people". Other names have been suggested like CONFLUX and we have set the deadline for the name to be tonight so we can crack on with designing and making flyers
* Tom in Painting has whipped up two designs for flyers
* Sam in Sculpture has volunteered to be treasurer (i.e. in charge of the cash and keeping accounts) (Thanks Sam)
* Lucy and Jo in Drawing have volunteered to create a list of the essential people and institutions we want to invite with both a formal paper invite and an e-invite. They will publish this list next week and it can obviously be added to but will only print a limited number of good quality invites (cost concerns)
* We discussed if there was budget left if there were essential people we wanted there (i.e. the RCA, Matts gallery…. big wigs) to cover the cost of a Taxi or arrange transport, I know this is a tactic Damien Hirst used when setting up and he didn’t do badly did he….)
*Links to good/cheap printers 1) DJ FLYERS.COM 2) LONDON GRAPHICS
* If you know a good, reliable printers please post.
* We decided to design the promo material within the steering committee to save time and hassle and aim to be ready to go with printing early next week Monday is ideal (4th of May)
* Distribution will be shared out amongst the cluster subjects
* We have google spreadsheets set up and it is the same login details as for this site, which is trinitybuoywharf@googlemail.com password: (e-mail Tom if you don't know it tomburtonart@gmail.com)
* Robyn in photography currently has most of the proposals and is responsible for updating the database. Jack in painting still has some and is updating the database as well. Any outstanding proposals to be sent to Robyn on robynminogue@hotmail.com 07877580825/07540528731
* We currently have an estimate of 30 projectors so there may be issues with equipment if people expect to use the central loans store and also the light levels in the Chain store
* Plinths and equipment are the responsibility of the exhibitors, i.e. they need to have provided their own plinths and projectors/monitors/etc
* Each exhibitor needs to do an individual risk assessment. I had forgotten about this and am unsure where to get the risk assessment from or who to send it to so need to clarify that….
* We are drafting an e-mail to send to the whole cluster regarding their responsibilities in term of transport and equipment
* We have requested a meeting with Martin Newth (Cluster Leader) to discuss some issues we are unable to answer ourselves and hope to see him tomorrow or wed afternoon.
* Rosie (painting) is going to Trinity Buoy Wharf tomorrow to arrive by 11am to meet with the site manager and go inside the building to take measurements
* Rosie will also find the person to speak to with regard to the possibility of using the boat to transport people to the show in exchange for advertising
* The issue of booze at the private view came up. So We can try get sponsorship/buy booze to a) give away, b) sell (if the premises is licensed then we can sell as I am a license holder) or can apply for a temporary license….do people expect free booze (yes) can we afford it (no)…..None as yet has taken this on as a direct responsibility
* Rosie and Robyn agreed to write a press release to be proof read by Sam (sculpture)
* What is the parking situation in the area/on site?
TO DO LIST
Trinity Bouy Wharf - To Do List
Not in definite order
1: Chase up missing proposals + check queries about size etc.
2: Exhibition layout (+ plan for dividing walls)
3: Final layout plan for use in installation (large scale plan to hang up at site on installation days)
4: Instructions for exhibitors (what they are responsible for etc.)
• Construction of own plinths (or see if uni technicians could help out with this?)
• Tools needed for hanging/installation
• Power extension leads (should exhibitors be responsible for this?)
• What we may need volunteers for? (Transporting works, promotion design, dividing walls construction + paint, distributing promotion material, drink/food distribution on opening night, etc.)
• Work for sale?
5: Site considerations to check with site manager
• Insurance situation (does all electrical eqpt. need to be safety checked? Does each piece need risk assessment form?)
• Disabled access?
• Condition of exhibition spaces - will they be cleaned, if so when?
• Installation concerns - accessing beams, lighting, etc.
6: Transport organisation
• Quotes from van hire company
• Approximately how many trips to + from uni?
• Driver?
7: Invites list to collate
• Galleries/universities/journals, magazines, newspapers etc.
• Names/addresses/e-mail
8: Invites design
• Could ask other students for design proposals?
• Info to put on: date/time, address/map/transport links, disabled access
9: Flyer + poster design
• Could ask other students for design proposals?
• Info to put on: date/time, address/map/transport links, disabled access
10: Invites/flyers/posters/ print
• How many of each?
• Quotes - check London Graphics
11: Promotion
• Send invites (+ follow up closer to event) May need short press release to send with this.
• Distribute flyers + posters - need volunteers?
• Facebook event page
12: Dividing walls - construct + paint + install
• Will need other student volunteers
13: Name cards design + info collation (Name, title, medium, for sale - Y/N? Price?)
14: Name cards print + mount
15: Press release/info sheet for opening night/exhibition period
• Collate info
• Print
16: Schedule for opening night
• Introduction/talk by tutor/student/both?
• DJ?
17: Drinks/snacks for opening night
• Estimate quantity
• Quotes (Oddbins do good deals + ice buckets + deliver)
• Order + arrange delivery
• Organisation + distribution on the night - need volunteers?
18: Budget
• Plan
• Record
19: Any plans for exhibition catalogue print?
Shopping List
• White paint
• Wine
• Snacks?
• Extra hanging/installation equipment (though students should supply own) - nails, tape, string/wire, spirit level, tape measures, power ext. cables, etc.
• Name card materials - white stickers + foam board
• Flyers
• Posters
• Invites + stamps
• Van hire
• DJ?
Thursday, 30 April 2009
Friday, 24 April 2009
Spreadsheets
Proposals Wall/Floor
Proposals
Steering Comittee
View any of the spreadsheets here by clicking on the link, or sign into the steering committee google mail and click on documents in the top left of the page to access the documents and edit any of the spreadsheets.
Proposals
Steering Comittee
View any of the spreadsheets here by clicking on the link, or sign into the steering committee google mail and click on documents in the top left of the page to access the documents and edit any of the spreadsheets.
Thursday, 23 April 2009
Walls
First of all I'd like to apologise for my absence yesterday.
I spoke to Dan Sturgis (head of painting) today and he asked about the situation with wall space.
There is someone in the sculpture department who can supply board/wood for the show and storage. We will have to design a layout plan for dividers and let him know as soon as possible.
Do we have a ratio of floor/wall based work for the proposals we've recieved so far?
Tom
I spoke to Dan Sturgis (head of painting) today and he asked about the situation with wall space.
There is someone in the sculpture department who can supply board/wood for the show and storage. We will have to design a layout plan for dividers and let him know as soon as possible.
Do we have a ratio of floor/wall based work for the proposals we've recieved so far?
Tom
Wednesday, 18 March 2009
Minutes from 1st meeting - 18.03.09
These are some loose notes from the meeting held today.
* All Art Cluster subjects represented at the meeting today held with Martin Newth - Cluster Leader
* 140 students in final show - compromising; drawing, painting, ceramics, sculpture, photography
* 21st April is the deadline for an image to be submitted of student’s plans for the final exhibition
* Limited wall space identified as a potential challenge. With 140 students, many of them may produce 2D work so competition for wall space may be an issue. Martin encouraged us to use this challenge productively.
* If we choose to we can build walls
* Another area discussed was the difference between the two spaces. We proposed that when the first images are handed in on the 21st that the students state which space they would like to see their work displayed in. This will hopefully help the team to set out curation plans early on
* Full possibilities to use the height of the building as have specialist-lifting equipment.
* There are currently no limits in terms of number of pieces to be submitted, there was an assumption it was one piece per person but it is up to us to negotiate/decide this
* A virtually unanimous decision was not to split the exhibition in to sections relating to subject (i.e. all painting together all photography together) but to have the work mixed
* Possible suggestion with strong challenges to have a show reel of video work. This will probably depend on how other video artists feel and what there is in terms of equipment.
* The loan store is available to use over the period of the show but need to consider security and insurance - we do have a budget of £3000 maximum to play with
* Intending to have crits booked in for the whole time that the show is on to negate the need for invidulation
* Remind people that the basement building has two sections - the white gallery style space and the gritty exposed brick section.
* Fraser has drawn a floor plan, which he is up for putting on this site
* Risk assessment needed - be aware of how potentially dangerous pieces may be in terms of falling on people etc. Chap at the site very encouraging though
* Been really encouraged to think ambitiously
* The time plan so far is to have two days to install the show; Monday & Tuesday then wed for the private view then Thursday and Friday open for discussion and crit
* Discussion about transport for work, which we may be able to arrange with a Camberwell technician
* Need to draw up a time line and plan promotion and allocate roles for promotion. Jack specifically does not want to design flyers.
* The loft space may be able to be used
* Upstairs in the lighthouse is a music installation running for 1000 years called Long player - open currently the first weekend of every month from 11am
* Possible to show work outside - all depends really
* Question of documenting the work in situ. Really good opportunity to document exhibition especially for portfolio and applications to MA
* Suggested to run a workshop with Richard Smith (photo tech) to go through this at the site but also if not possible then at Camberwell in a series of workshops
* Remember that we are not being assessed on the show but all the stuff around the show so the research and the crit and discussion etc.
* Last year they had themed areas but as a group we seemed to feel that the whole show was already themed under site specificity
* Ground rule that everything can change right up until the last minute
* Possible inspiration for curation issues - Paul Morrison working with Judd - hung work by colour; totally wrong way to do it. Idea of difficulty of curation and position of curator
* Potential to have evolving show which is moved around, depends on our commitment to this idea
* Drawing students set up blog (well done)
* Chose to allocate member to take minutes type up each time
* Issue of getting to the show - discussion of laying on special transport - possible to use budget for this to get galleries etc to the show.
* Next meeting 22nd of April at 1:30pm in G35 (photography studio opposite loan store)
* All Art Cluster subjects represented at the meeting today held with Martin Newth - Cluster Leader
* 140 students in final show - compromising; drawing, painting, ceramics, sculpture, photography
* 21st April is the deadline for an image to be submitted of student’s plans for the final exhibition
* Limited wall space identified as a potential challenge. With 140 students, many of them may produce 2D work so competition for wall space may be an issue. Martin encouraged us to use this challenge productively.
* If we choose to we can build walls
* Another area discussed was the difference between the two spaces. We proposed that when the first images are handed in on the 21st that the students state which space they would like to see their work displayed in. This will hopefully help the team to set out curation plans early on
* Full possibilities to use the height of the building as have specialist-lifting equipment.
* There are currently no limits in terms of number of pieces to be submitted, there was an assumption it was one piece per person but it is up to us to negotiate/decide this
* A virtually unanimous decision was not to split the exhibition in to sections relating to subject (i.e. all painting together all photography together) but to have the work mixed
* Possible suggestion with strong challenges to have a show reel of video work. This will probably depend on how other video artists feel and what there is in terms of equipment.
* The loan store is available to use over the period of the show but need to consider security and insurance - we do have a budget of £3000 maximum to play with
* Intending to have crits booked in for the whole time that the show is on to negate the need for invidulation
* Remind people that the basement building has two sections - the white gallery style space and the gritty exposed brick section.
* Fraser has drawn a floor plan, which he is up for putting on this site
* Risk assessment needed - be aware of how potentially dangerous pieces may be in terms of falling on people etc. Chap at the site very encouraging though
* Been really encouraged to think ambitiously
* The time plan so far is to have two days to install the show; Monday & Tuesday then wed for the private view then Thursday and Friday open for discussion and crit
* Discussion about transport for work, which we may be able to arrange with a Camberwell technician
* Need to draw up a time line and plan promotion and allocate roles for promotion. Jack specifically does not want to design flyers.
* The loft space may be able to be used
* Upstairs in the lighthouse is a music installation running for 1000 years called Long player - open currently the first weekend of every month from 11am
* Possible to show work outside - all depends really
* Question of documenting the work in situ. Really good opportunity to document exhibition especially for portfolio and applications to MA
* Suggested to run a workshop with Richard Smith (photo tech) to go through this at the site but also if not possible then at Camberwell in a series of workshops
* Remember that we are not being assessed on the show but all the stuff around the show so the research and the crit and discussion etc.
* Last year they had themed areas but as a group we seemed to feel that the whole show was already themed under site specificity
* Ground rule that everything can change right up until the last minute
* Possible inspiration for curation issues - Paul Morrison working with Judd - hung work by colour; totally wrong way to do it. Idea of difficulty of curation and position of curator
* Potential to have evolving show which is moved around, depends on our commitment to this idea
* Drawing students set up blog (well done)
* Chose to allocate member to take minutes type up each time
* Issue of getting to the show - discussion of laying on special transport - possible to use budget for this to get galleries etc to the show.
* Next meeting 22nd of April at 1:30pm in G35 (photography studio opposite loan store)
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)



